Leopold Blaschka (1822-1895) and his son Rudolf Blaschka (1857-1939) were German glass artists, known for the production of biological models such as the glass flowers.
In 1863, a curator for the natural history museum in Dresden, Professor Ludwig Reichenbach, saw an exhibition of highly detailed, realistic glass flowers created by a Bohemian lampworker named Leopold Blaschka. Excited by the possibilities he could see for displaying sea creatures, Reichenbach commissioned Leopold to make several glass anemones for his museum’s collection. Eventually, Leopold’s reputation spread and he began supplying invertebrate models for natural history collections world-wide. In 1876, Leopold’s son, Rudolf, joined his father in the family business and, between the two talented lampworkers, they made thousands of intricately worked, carefully detailed glass models of invertebrates and botanical specimens for use as teaching aids and in exhibits, including the famous collection of glass flowers at Harvard University.
Leopold Blaschka, his wife and his son Rudolf Blaschka